What is dance team?
A dance team is a group of dancers who are ready as well as desire to bring a high level of commitment to dance, engagement in time at the studio, and participation on a team. It is a group of dancers that work very hard individually and as a team to execute difficult choreography and dance technique. Being on a dance team helps a dancer to reach new heights in technique and performance. They begin to approach their dance education with new goals of excellence. It changes the mind set from “I dance as a hobby” to “I am a dancer”. As a member of the team, opportunities to perform in the community as well as compete will be available.
What are the dance team commitments?
1. Dance Team Kick Off Intensive, June 5-7, $150.
2. Take a minimum of 4 classes each (8 total) in Barre Body & Turns & Leaps the month of June, summer cost $120. These classes will take place during the week and this is an unlimited pass, you can attend more than the 8 classes.
3. In addition to the above intensives, all competition choreography intensives will take place July 30th-August 10th. The number of choreography intensives your dancer must attend is based on the number of dances your child is invited to and accepts. The August Choreography Intensive schedule will be released with audition results and they are $150 per intensive.
4. Mayama will be closed the month of July. Yay Summer Break!!!
Fall & Winter 2018/2019
1. A minimum of 2 technique classes, ballet, and Dance Team Production (4 classes total). Competition choreography classes will continue in the fall and winter months and are 1/2 hour classes except for Production which is a full hour. Dancers must be enrolled in the technique of their competition pieces throughout the entire year.
Requirements to Audition for Dance Team:
Competitions: competition numbers will be by audition and optional upon invitation. We will compete in 2-4 competitions and attend one convention.
What is an audition?
Auditions are required for many reasons in the performing arts world. In dance, it is done to show the use of a dancers technique, the dancers ability to learn and perform a choreographed dance piece and to assess how well the individual will take directions and deal with changes while being observed/judged. The above practice also takes place at dance competitions so it’s a great way to introduce students to a process they have yet to experience or give them further practice.
The Mayama dance team auditions will be a lot like a dance class except there will be judges in the room watching and recording dancers abilities. The audition will be held at the studio and will consist of all or some Ballet, Jazz and Hip Hop technique. Students do not have to be familiar with all of the techniques. Students do not have to come prepared with a routine of their own. They need to approach it as a class they are going to attend and do their very best! It is only natural to be nervous for an audition. We are not requiring this to cause any of our dancers stress, it is simply an industry standard and this is a competition and performance team. We would be doing them all a disservice to execute the process in a cushioned manner. This may be their first audition but if they continue to pursue any performing art throughout their childhood or adulthood this will not be their last. All audition material taught will be age appropriate. The goal of the teachers and judges will be to create a healthy fun environment for the dancers. We want to see them do their best and succeed!
Estimated Team Fees & Expenses (not including tuition)
If you have any questions regarding Defined Motion please feel free to contact Mayama's Artistic Dance Director, Ali Kishiyama, firstname.lastname@example.org.